Denise Goldberg's blog

Red rocks & fabulous formations
Explorations near Moab, 2001 & 2002

Saturday, April 27, 2002

Time to hike to Delicate Arch

I loved the hike to Delicate Arch last year, and even if Bruce hadn't been with me (this is his first visit to Arches National Park) I would have returned to hike it again. We drove in to the Wolf Ranch parking area, which is also the start of the hike to Delicate Arch, and headed upward, Camelbaks filled with cold water for our out and back hike.

We talked with other people as we walked, and as usual I wondered about the folks who were hiking without any water. I'm always amazed when I see that, although I should be used to seeing unsafe things (like hiking in the desert without any water) by now! We spent a good chunk of time sitting, talking, and shooting photos when we got to Delicate Arch. And on the way back down we scrambled up to a window in the rock that framed a beautiful view of the arch. No goats on this trip, but it was still a wonderful walk.

When we got close to the bottom, we took a side trail that led to some petroglyphs, and then stopped again to look at the remains of the Wolf Ranch buildings.

Then it was time to return to Moab for a shower, clean clothes, and our usual good dinner followed by ice cream.