Denise Goldberg's blog

Red rocks & fabulous formations
Explorations near Moab, 2001 & 2002

Tuesday, April 30, 2002

Resources: links and comments

Are you thinking of wandering off to Moab yourself? Here are some of the resources I used to plan my trips; maybe they'll be helpful to you too.

The Moab information site has links to park information, lodging options, general visitor information, and lots of pictures.

discovermoab, the official website of the Moab Area Travel Council, has a page with PDF brochures and maps of the area. This site also has links to park information, lodging options, and other general visitor information.

The National Park Service site contains information on all of the US national parks. There are many more national parks in Utah than those that I visited on this trip. But I thoroughly enjoyed the two parks that are close to Moab:

For a small town, Moab sure has a lot of bike shops!

Are you fascinated by my traveling bikes? You can check out both my Pocket Rocket and my Air Glide (and Bruce's Air Friday) on the Bike Friday web site. If you happen to call the folks there, please mention my name!

Although I'm really not a mountain biker, the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands National Park fascinates me. The biking in Utah site - which contains mainly information on mountain biking - is the only non-commercial source of information on the White Rim Trail that I could find (look under Canyonlands on the trails page). If you're thinking of heading out on this trail - permits are required, and they limit the number of people / groups allowed in any one backcountry camp site. If you don't want to do a commercial tour, I imagine that you could get quite a bit of information by calling one of the many Moab bike shops. Information is also available on the famous Slickrock Trail, in addition to information on many other trails.

Moab is a tourist area, so there are many choices for places to eat. Here are some of the restaurants that I liked:
  • Slickrock Cafe. I had both dinner and breakfast there; good food, and an Internet cafe too.
  • I ate at two Mexican restaurants - one called Banditos Grill that was a couple of blocks from the center of town heading toward Arches National Park, and the other in the center of town. Both were very good.
  • The Red Rock Bakery and Net Cafe was a good breakfast place (bagels, bagel sandwiches) and another place with Internet access.
  • Breakfast at Tiffany's - right next to the Hotel Off Center - had great breakfast food, both hot food and good pastries.
  • And Jailhouse Cafe was yet another good breakfast place.
  • Ice cream was readily available as you wander through the center of town. I usually stopped at an ice cream place next to the Slickrock Cafe for my after dinner ice cream.


There is a decent grocery store within walking distance of the center of town - just head south.

On most of the rides that I did there was no place to restock food or water - so be sure to carry whatever you need. The exception - on my out and back ride on the Arches National Park road, there is a campground at the end of the road so I was able to fill up on water there.