Denise Goldberg's blog

Red rocks & fabulous formations
Explorations near Moab, 2001 & 2002

Friday, April 26, 2002

Biking around the top of the mesa

After a good breakfast we headed back to the Hotel Off Center to load our bikes into the car. Since we were both riding Bike Fridays, we simply folded the bikes and popped them into the trunk. Easy...

We headed for the Island in the Sky section of Canyonlands National Park. We passed by the airport where Bruce's plane was parked, and stopped by so he could retrieve his sandals. It was my first view of his little plane...

Our ride today would be a repeat of the ride that I did last year, but with company this time. Bruce and I have pretty compatible riding styles since we both like to stop, look around, and take pictures. And Bruce was willing and able to ride my pace. He's capable of riding much faster than I am, but was fine with my slower pace.

As we headed across the narrow land bridge that leads to the top of the mesa, I was again fascinated by the narrow ribbon of a trail leading down to the bottom of the canyon. Given that I'm a slow hill climber, I probably wouldn't be happy riding up that trail - but spending a couple of days exploring down there still sounds interesting. Maybe someday this road bike tourist will attempt a mountain bike trip; seems like this would be a good place for a supported tour.

We rode all of the paved road surface on top of the mesa, stopping often to just drink in the views. We rode, we stopped and looked - not that we didn't look around as we rode, but sometimes you just have to get off of your bike for a more in depth look (without riding over the edge). As expected, the pictures that I took just don't do the place justice. You'll just have to use them as a jumping off point for your imagination.