Denise Goldberg's blog

Red rocks & fabulous formations
Explorations near Moab, 2001 & 2002

Sunday, April 28, 2002

Heading north along the Colorado

Our last day of riding for this trip was an another out-and-back ride along the Colorado River, this time heading to the north and east. We didn't ride to the end of the road this time, since that would have entailed a lot more riding than we were prepared to do - especially since the road we were on, route 128, eventually intersected with Interstate 70. There is actually about a 60-mile loop that looks like it would be very interesting, but neither of us was up for that distance today.
If you're interested, the loop heads out 128, then loops over (around) the La Sal Mountains and eventually comes out south of Moab. I believe there is a section of this that is unpaved - check in at one of the local bike shops for more information.
I find it amazing that our two days of river riding had very different scenery. The ride yesterday had sheer cliffs on one side of the road for a good chunk of time. Today, while there were cliffs, they weren't backed right onto the road. We saw people playing in the river in kayaks today, practicing in relatively calm waters.

It was another good riding day...


Can I say that my bike and I were practicing dipping wheels in the water for my upcoming cross-country trip? Not really, because at this point I didn't yet know that I would lose my job within the next few weeks!