Denise Goldberg's blog

Red rocks & fabulous formations
Explorations near Moab, 2001 & 2002

Tuesday, May 29, 2001

An unexpectedly long journey home

What a funny day!
Before I left Moab in the morning for my drive back to Grand Junction to catch my flight, I actually thought about calling the airline to see if my flight was on time. No - it's too early to call, they either won't know or won't tell me. Wouldn't you know that after I turned in my rental car and proceeded to the United Express counter in Grand Junction that I found out that my flight wasn't delayed - it was canceled! There was a mechanical problem with the plane, and all of the other flights from Grand Junction to Denver were full. Uh oh - who's going to believe me when I call to say I won't make it to work tomorrow because I'm stuck in Colorado with my bicycle!

So, it was a trek through the Rockies by bus... I hate buses - but this was a great ride. The flight that was canceled was a commuter flight - so not that many people (maybe 30). The airline chartered a tour bus just for us, so everyone had their own set of seats - a window view was had by all.

As we boarded the bus the airline agents handed us snack bags, then came onto the bus to offer us a second bag. I took 2 because they each had a bottle of water - but I had to eat some of the other contents too - individually packaged cookies, candy bars, peanut butter cheese crackers, peanuts. Hey - we all had our fill of junk food for the day!

I was booked on a later than planned flight from Denver to Boston since the bus didn't make it there in time for my originally scheduled flight. It was a non-eventful flight, although it was very late by the time I got home. Not a problem though, I slept in for a bit, then wandered in to the office late the next day.

It was a good trip...