Denise Goldberg's blog

Red rocks & fabulous formations
Explorations near Moab, 2001 & 2002

Sunday, May 27, 2001

Island in the Sky: A spectacular mesa

Today's agenda was to explore the Island in the Sky section of Canyonlands National Park. This is an interesting park both because the geology/landscape in wonderful, and because the Colorado and Green rivers separate the park into 4 distinct sections. The National Park Service web site provides this description of the section that I visited today:
"The Island in the Sky mesa rests on sheer sandstone cliffs over 1,000 feet above the surrounding terrain. Every overlook offers a different perspective on Canyonlands' spectacular landscape. The Island is the easiest district to visit in a short period of time, offering many pullouts with spectacular views along the paved scenic drive."
The visitor center at the Island in the Sky is 32 miles from Moab, so I opted to drive to the park, and then to ride the park roads. It would have been a very long day if I'd ridden my bike the 32 miles, then did my 37 mile ride in the park, then rode the 32 miles back to Moab. Way too much for me for this early season ride, and it was another hot day too. Better to use that extra fossil-fueled vehicle that I rented for my trip here!

It was a beautiful (but relatively short) drive from Moab to the Island in the Sky. I found a parking spot at the visitor center and headed inside to look at the exhibits. Back out, a quick stop in the bathroom (or should I say the outhouse?), and it was time to pull my bike out of the car. It was screaming at me - time to ride, time to ride!

I headed across the narrow land bridge that connects to the Island in the Sky, and wondered how long it will be before it erodes away entirely. I can see a switchbacked trail heading to the canyon floor; it's the start of the White Rim trail. That would certainly provide a different perspective to this place. Riding on the top of the mesa, a pretty flat route with a bit of tilt every so often, just taking in the flowers and the distant views. As the road goes through the center of the mesa, I can see desert flowers and flat expanses of land, but when it wanders close to the edge - what a fabulous view! I'm keeping pictures in my mind because this is the type of place where you'd have to hit the light conditions just right to get fabulous pictures to match the view.

As I got back to the visitor's center at the end of my ride, I met the same mountain bike riders I'd talked to in Arches two days ago. They were having a short meeting with their tour guide prior to heading out on the White Rim Trail. We chatted for a few minutes, and then I packed up the car and headed back to Moab.

I checked back into the Hotel Off Center, definitely my preferred home away from home here. My first room wasn't too off the wall - I'd say it looked like an old-style lawyers office - but my new room is pretty interesting. It's actually two rooms, with the feel of the late 50's, bright orange in places, pinks and blues in others, complete with a fallout shelter sign on the wall. What fun! Looking back, I can't believe I didn't take any pictures of the room. Guess that's the difference between traveling with a film camera and traveling with a digital camera!

I got settled in again, showered, and headed out for food. It was another Mexican food night, this time some really good fish tacos.