Denise Goldberg's blog

Red rocks & fabulous formations
Explorations near Moab, 2001 & 2002

Saturday, May 26, 2001

Along the Colorado River

Before I headed out for the day I packed up and stashed everything in the car (everything but the bike, that is!). I was hoping that there would be a cancellation at the Hotel Off Center for tonight, but there wasn't, so I had to move to a different place for tonight. I wasn't traveling with too much stuff, so it was a simple matter to throw everything back in my duffle bag for the day.

I had a great breakfast at Breakfast at Tiffany's - a good food start to a good riding day!

OK, time to go. I left the car parked at the Hotel Off Center and headed out on my bike, time to explore the road along the Colorado River. North or south? I couldn't decide, so I decided to do both. It was going to be an out and back ride again today, so why not two out and back rides? I started by heading north along the river, then eventually turned and re-traced my route. When I got back to route 191 I crossed over and continued to ride south along the river for a while before retracing my route. It was much more of a solitary ride; unlike yesterday when there were lots of people to talk with and to share the wonder of the landscape, I was pretty much on my own today. There were people playing in the river, and an occasional car rambling by, but it was a quiet people day. Enjoyable though...

Back to town, time to get something cold to drink. After a smoothie, I headed to the car, and drove the few blocks to the Day's Inn. From the interesting rooms of the Hotel Off Center, to the standard (and somewhat boring rooms of a chain motel). But it worked, and it would only be for one night. My biggest problem with this hotel were the big signs saying that bikes weren't allowed in the rooms! Unlike the Hotel Off Center, most of the other hotels in this bike-loaded town didn't want bicycles in their rooms. They did supply a place to lock up bicycles, but I decided to just leave the bike in the car. I just folded the frame and left it hidden in the trunk. I probably could have snuck the bike into the room through one of the (locked) side entrances to the place, but I figured the trunk would work for one night.

Dinner tonight was at Bandito's Grill - a nice big bean and rice burrito. Yum.